Three Easy Vegetable Dishes From Fresh City Farms’ Produce Box
One of the best ways to eat seasonally and locally is through a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box, which allows you to connect directly with the farmers. Based on that model, Fresh City Farms is a grocery store that offers different produce bags with priority given to local fruits and vegetables, with some imports during colder months.
Below are three easy recipes that use all the fruits and vegetables in Fresh City Farms’ regular bag ($40), developed by Hang Dao, host of our series “Taste of the World”.
Kale, apple, and tomato salad with honey vinaigrette dressing
- Kale – 1 bunch
- Apples – 2 pcs
- Tomatoes – 2 pcs
- Honey – 4 tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar – 2tbsp
- Olive oil – 4 tbsp
- Dried cranberry (optional)
- Cashew (optional)
- Remove the tough kale leaves from the ribs by cutting alongside the ribs or stripping the leaves off with your fingers. Sprinkle the leaves with a bit of kosher salt, olive oil.
- Dice apples into small-sized pieces or into matchsticks. Drizzle with a generous amount of lemon juice or lime juice and set aside.
- Cut the tomatoes into wedges
- Make the dressing by combining honey, apple cider vinegar and olive oil.
- Toss kale, apple and tomato wedges with the dressing. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Thai-style squash & carrot soup with coconut milk
- Zucchini – 2 pcs
- Carrots – 2 pcs
- Onions – 2 pcs
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Red curry paste – 2 tbsp
- Coconut milk – 1 can
- Vegetable stock – 3 cups
- To garnish: Crushed peanut, Limes, Cilantro
- Dice zucchini, carrots, and onions into medium-sized pieces. Chop garlic. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat up 3 tbsp of olive oil, sautés onion and garlic.
- Add the carrots and squash, stir for another 1 minute. Add the vegetable stock, 3 tbsp of red curry paste, cover with a lid, until the liquid boils.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, add coconut milk and blend.
- Served hot with crushed peanut, some chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.
Oven-baked root vegetables with paprika
- Brussels sprout – 1lb
- Rutabaga – 1 pc
- Paprika – 2 tbsp
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 450F.
- Half Brussels sprouts and cut rutabaga into cubes.
- In a baking tray, with parchment paper, mix all the veggies with paprika, oil, salt and pepper.
Bake in the oven for 18-25 minutes. Once cooked with golden brown color, serve hot with any protein of your choice.
This content is also available in: English