The U.S. government will send 3 million more doses of the Moderna Inc COVID-19 vaccine to Vietnam on Thursday, bringing total donations to the Southeast Asian country to 5 million, a White House official said.
The next batch of shots is due to arrive in Vietnam this weekend as the country battles its worst coronavirus outbreak of the pandemic.
After successfully containing the virus for much of the pandemic, Vietnam is now seeing a surge in daily infections to record levels. The Ministry of Health reported 5,357 new infections on Wednesday, up from 4,795 cases on Tuesday. The country has recorded 68,177 infections and 370 deaths overall.
The latest COVID-19 vaccine doses heading to Vietnam are part of an initial pledge by President Joe Biden to donate 80 million vaccine doses to countries around the world.
Washington has also pledged to purchase 500 million Pfizer- BioNTech (PFE.N), (22UAy.DE) vaccines to distribute to the African Union and 92 low and lower-middle-income countries.
“We will continue to do all we can to build a world that is safer and more secure against the threat of infectious disease,” the official said.
Update on the COVID-19 situation in Vietnam:
In Vietnam, according to the Ministry of Health, as of 7pm on July 22, Vietnam time:
-The number of new infections per day is 6,194 cases, of which Saigon has 4,218 cases, Binh Duong has 697 cases, Long An has 432 cases and no deaths have been recorded.
• Number of critically ill patients being treated in ICU: 129 cases.
• Number of critically ill patients receiving ECMO (life support equipment): 18 cases
- Vietnam has a total of 74,371 cases, 13,421 of which have been cured. The number of deaths nationwide is 334 people.
- The number of new infections recorded in the country from April 27 to now is 64,508 cases.
A total of 4,367,939 doses of COVID-19 vaccine were administered, in which:
• The number of people who received 1 injection is 4,042,984 people.
• The number of people who have received 2 injections is 324,955 people.
Articles You Should Read Next:
- Ontario issues Emergency Order for Northwestern Region of Province Over Forest Fire Risk
- TSX futures fall on tumbling oil prices amid U.S.-China trade tensions
- British Columbia Residents Stay on High Alert As 49 Wildfires Break Out in Just 48 Hours
- Asian stocks set to rise on optimism of post-lockdown recovery, stimulus
- Lumber Prices Rises as Canada Wildfires Affect Output Shipments
This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt