Schools asked not to cancel graduation and prom events by Ontario Education Minister

Ontario Education Minister Stephen Lecce has asked schools in Ontario to postpone school events for graduating students rather than cancel them.

Lecce says that it would be better for these schools to host said events in the summer or the fall and that he has heard from students and their parents that want to see the achievements of these students celebrated.

“Their stories have moved me to act”, said Lecce regarding the students voicing their concern for their events being cancelled.

“I firmly believe Ontario students deserve this positive conclusion to their academic journey, even if ceremonies are delayed”.

Schools in the province have been closed since March break in order to flatten the COVID-19 curve. Many provinces in the country have gone with the decision to cancel in-person classes for the rest of the year, but Ontario’s government has not yet made the decision.

The decision to reopen the schools will be made later this week according to Premier Doug Ford’s announcement on the weekend.

The decision for graduation ceremonies to take place has been given to the individual school boards, meaning the events taking place will ultimately be up to them.

“Despite this uncertainty, I am encouraging boards to reschedule these events based on input from local medical officers of health,” said Lecce in his pleas to the school boards.

Schools will continue to use online learning tools for the time being in order to continue the school year, and Lecce has stated previously that students will be able to graduate with report cards no matter what happens.

Written by: Angelo Cruz

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt

Discover

Bài Liên Quan

Businesses with a 30% drop in revenue due to COVID-19 pandemic eligible for 75% wage subsidies says Prime Minister Justin Trudeau

On Monday March 30th Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced in his daily address that businesses and non-profit organizations that see a drop...

An East-Meets-West Wedding

These days, numerous western-born or Vietnamese-born brides and grooms keep family traditions and values when celebrating their weddings. Whether they marry...

The latest developments on COVID-19 in Canada

Reported by: The Canadian Press The latest news on the COVID-19 global pandemic (all times Eastern): 4:10 p.m.

Businesses with a 30% drop in revenue due to COVID-19 pandemic eligible for 75% wage subsidies says Prime Minister Justin Trudeau

On Monday March 30th Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced in his daily address that businesses and non-profit organizations that see a drop...

Military reports “Horrific” conditions, elder abuse in long-term care home

During the daily provincial address, Premier Doug Ford addressed the public reports made by the Canadian Armed Forces whistleblower regarding the observations...

Ontario releases list of essential businesses allowed to stay open during the mandatory two-week shut down

A week after declaring a state of emergency in the province, Premier Doug Ford has ordered all non-essential businesses to shut down...

Niagara Parks: A Culinary Explosion

Driving along Ontario’s 56 km Niagara River Corridor, stretching from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie, I thought of my childhood visits to...

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt