Retailers cautiously return as Ontario begins reopening

TORONTO (Reuters) – Select retailers and auto dealerships in Ontario opened their doors to a slow trickle of customers on Tuesday after two months of lockdown aimed at preventing the spread of the novel coronavirus, with many stores choosing to remain closed.

Canada’s most-populous province and the country’s economic engine is reopening its economy in three stages, after first shutting down its economy in mid-March.

The province decided on Tuesday to reopen schools in September.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said last week that stores with a street entrance could reopen, but only by following strict social-distancing norms.

Retailers on Toronto’s normally bustling Queen Street West reported slower-than-normal foot traffic, with many stores staying closed.

Anastasia Abittan, whose family owns The Beadery, a jewelry repair shop in Toronto, said the family “didn’t have a choice” but to reopen. The landlord has been understanding about rent but expenses are piling up, she said.

Allowing retailers to reopen is the least the province can do, and most will do so, said Diane Brisebois, president of the Retail Council of Canada. But even after they open, supply chains and purchasing will still be disrupted.

“They may be able to open their front door, but they’ll have nothing to sell,” Brisebois said.

The retail and auto sector has been hard hit by the pandemic. An April survey from the Canadian Auto Dealership Association found that 87% of dealerships in Canada saw a revenue decline of over 30%.

Construction workers and employers “in large part” are looking forward to going back to work, said Patrick Dillon, secretary-treasurer of the Ontario chapter of Canada’s Building Trades Union.

Although there are concerns about the presence of the virus in communities, Dillon said: “We have a pretty stellar track record of non-infection” on construction sites that stayed open during the lockdown.

(Reporting by Moira Warburton; Editing by Steve Orlofsky and Peter Cooney)

Feature Image Caption and Credits: FILE PHOTO: A view of Yonge and Dundas Square, as the number of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases continue to grow in Toronto, Ontario, Canada April 8, 2020. REUTERS/Carlos Osorio/File Photo

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt

Discover

Bài Liên Quan

U.S. commission says Taiwan’s WHO exclusion caused lives to be lost

Reporting by: Reuters TAIPEI (Reuters) - Lives have been lost in the coronavirus pandemic because of the World Health...

Canada to be lender of last resort for big companies like airlines and oil producers

Reported By: Steve Scherer and Kelsey Johnson, Reuters OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada on Monday said it would be the...

Regional reopening strategy for Ontario being considered

In his daily provincial address, Premier Doug Ford said there is consideration for a region-based reopening strategy for reopening during the COVID-19...

Coronavirus-What you need to know to protect yourself

Reminders from the Ministry of Health in Ontario:  Contact Telehealth Ontario (1-866-797-0000) or a local public health unit or...

Schools asked not to cancel graduation and prom events by Ontario Education Minister

Ontario Education Minister Stephen Lecce has asked schools in Ontario to postpone school events for graduating students rather than cancel them.

As Ontario moves to Stage 3, Pressure Grows for Full-Time School Plans amid COVID-19 Pandemic

Earlier this week, Premier Doug Ford announced that a majority of regions in Ontario would be heading into Stage 3 of the...

The Catherine Tran Charity

“If you want to achieve something, you have to sacrifice something else in return,” said the late Catherine Tran, who was 16...

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt