Ontario’s State of Emergency Order Extended to June 30, Border Concerns Addressed by Premier Ford

Premier Doug Ford and the Ontario government announced that the emergency orders set to expire on June 19 have been extended to June 30.

Despite the province reporting only 190 new cases of COVID-19, the fourth day in a row where the province has seen under 200 new reported infections, Premier Doug Ford tells Ontarians not to be too relaxed. 

“Even though we’re seeing decreasing infection rates with increased testing levels, we can’t let our guard down yet,” Ford said.

“Extending these emergency orders gives our frontline health care providers the necessary flexibility to rapidly respond to urgent needs and protect our most vulnerable”.

The emergency orders will continue to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the government, and decisions regarding an extension or a lift on these orders will be determined by those reviews.

As stated previously by the Premier, the extension of emergency orders will not interfere with the province’s reopening plan.

U.S. border concerns

During his address to the province and the media present, Ford has said that he is concerned with the U.S. border connected to Ontario and whether or not the screening being done will work once non-essential travel is permitted.

He has gone on to say that he is willing to send people down to the border to assist with the screening process.

According to Ford, the high COVID-19 case numbers in New York, Minnesota, and Michigan concern him as they are connected to the Ontario border. He hopes that once non-essential travel is allowed, the screening process will be enhanced.

“If they need our help that’s fine, we’ll put people at the border too and if they aren’t doing it, then we’re putting people on the border anyway so we’ll see how this turns out. Hopefully, we will see the numbers go down by that time,” Ford said.

“I don’t want to come across as criticizing because I’m not, but man, we’ve got to do a better job at the border”.

Ford has been known to be against the idea of people entering Ontario, whether they’re from the provinces or the U.S., as he wants to put the health and safety of Ontarians first.

Back in April, Ford openly asked residents from different provinces and the U.S. to not come to Ontario until the COVID-19 situation calmed down or subsided.

When asked about the idea of reopening the border on July 21 as agreed upon by the U.S. and Canada, Ford said that they should ask him that question closer to the date.

“I can say yes today, and then all of the sudden the numbers start spiking up”.

Ontario COVID-19 stats

According to reports from health officials and a statement from Health Minister Christine Elliott, Ontario has become the province with the most daily testing being done.

Today, the province has reported 190 new cases of COVID-19, making this the fourth day in a row that the province has reported less than 200 cases.

Confirmed Cases: 32,744 (+190)

Recoveries: 27,784 (+353)

Deaths: 2,550 (+12)

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt

Discover

Bài Liên Quan

Toronto Bars and Restaurants Preparing Their Patios as Summer Patio Season is Almost Here

As the month of June continues, many of Toronto’s restaurants are slowly preparing for a possible reopening once the emergency orders are...

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau under fire for not calling out U.S. President

Due to the 21 seconds of silence when asked about the U.S. President Donald Trump, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has faced criticism...

Canada, U.S. to extend travel ban; Trump muses about cattle block

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada and the United States have agreed to extend a ban on non-essential cross-border travel by another 30 days...

Canada’s Immigration Minister shares new updates to immigration after the pandemic

In an online Q&A session on Tuesday May 5, Canada’s Minister Marco Mendicino answered questions and shared details regarding the future of immigration in...

Canada strengthen gun control in wake of mass shooting tragedy in Nova Scotia, RCMP providing new details

After the shooting in Nova Scotia, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau promised to push ahead with tightening gun control in the country.

Federal Government Announces $37B COVID-19 Aid Package Extends CERB, Expands EI and Adds “Recovery” Benefits

On Thursday afternoon, the federal government announced it is extending the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) by one more month and revamping...

Ontario reports 308 new coronavirus cases, extends state of emergency to June 2, retail stores reopen

Ontario confirmed there are 308 new cases of Covid-19 on Monday, May 11, bringing the provincial total to 20,546 since the outbreak...

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt