Ontario to launch “Learn at Home” online program for students during school shutdown

Highlights of Ontario’s Minister of Education Letter: 

  • Ontario is launching an online learning portal (website) for students to learn at home
  • No graduating student will have their ability to graduate impacted by the school closure
  • Ontario is cancelling EQAO testing and removing Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test as a requirement to graduate

Earlier this week on Sunday March 22, 2020, the Ontario Government has launched a online learning portal that is aimed to help prevent students from falling behind during the two-week school closure amid the school shutdown due to COVID-19. 

In an open letter to parents this past Sunday, Ontario’s Education Minister, Stephen Lecce said that the province is looking into ways to keep coursework going if the COVID-19 pandemic continues to prevent schools from re-opening on April 6 as planned. In the letter, Stephen Lecce also announced that he believes that no students’ graduations will be affected by COVID-19 pandemic as the Ontario Secondary Student Literacy test will no longer be a barrier for students on track to graduate. 

“Although publicly funded schools are ordered closed until April 6, the fluidity of developments around COVID-19 means we are preparing in the event the closure period is further extended,” stated the Minister of Education.

 “Specifically, we are working to ensure that students will be able to continue their coursework and credit accumulation, even when we aren’t able to be in a classroom setting,” Stephen Lecce said. 

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt

Discover

Bài Liên Quan

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says COVID-19 Pandemic Provided a Chance to Reshape Canada’s Future

On Monday morning, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau took the time to share some words of encouragement and motivation to Canadians during his...

Growing Optimism from Trudeau As Canada Announces New Federal Model Showing COVID-19 Progress

On Monday morning, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau expressed growing optimism following an update to the federal government’s latest COVID-19 models and projections. 

Small gatherings and reopening plans for British Columbia to begin in mid-May

On Wednesday May 6, B.C. Premier John Horgan laid out the plans and details for reopening the province as the COVID-19 cases...

Loonie climbs to three-week high on rising hopes of economic recovery

TORONTO (Reuters) - The Canadian dollar strengthened to its highest in nearly three weeks against its U.S. counterpart on Tuesday as oil...

Premier Ford acknowledges systemic racism in Ontario, launches of advisory council on equality of opportunity

In his daily provincial address today June 4, Premier Doug Ford and his government announced the launch of an “advisory group” whose...

Ontario unveils details about the Learn-at-Home program as schools remain closed until May 4th

As announced by Premier Doug Ford on Tuesday, March 31, 2020, publicly funded schools will remain closed until May 1 for teachers...

Strict new mandatory isolation rules in effect for returning Canadians

In the huge effort to curb the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, Canada has enacted unprecedented use of the federal Quarantine Act...

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt