In response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Education Minister Stephen Lecce along with Premier Doug Ford confirms that Ontario’s public school will remain closed until May 4th.
“As I’ve told you before the situation continues to change day-by-day, and hour-by-hour,” Ontario Premier Doug Ford said at a news conference on Tuesday. “In order to protect our children, I’m prepared to extend these closures even further, if we have to.”
In the meantime, Education Minister Stephen Lecce will be officially unveiling Ontario’s new distance-learning tools today. The e-learning tools will allow students to continue their education during school closures.
It was said that the Toronto District School Board and the Peel District School Boards have already announced their decision to launch teacher-led online classes as of April 6, 2020.
“Our attempt here is not to replicate the school day 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. because that would be quite challenging.” TSDB Director of Education John Malloy said.
“Our plan is that students will receive some direction from their teacher by Monday, April 6 to start learning.”
While the Ontario government had hoped to have its two million students return to school by April 6. Earlier last week Premier Dough Ford acknowledged the expected reopen date was “not realistic.”
“We’re collaborating … with boards, with unions, with students and educators alike, with parents to make sure that we provide the best experience for kids, given that it’s going to be different,” Education Minister Stephen Lecce said.
To keep in touch with students, Minister Lecce said teachers will be using phones, email and video conferencing to keep in touch with students while delivering portions of the curriculum, which may count toward a student final grade.
Premier Ford said his government will be providing more information about resuming the school year in the coming days.
This post is also available in: Tiếng Việt