Ontario reports 426 new coronavirus cases, mark the biggest increase in a single-day- Ontario’s Health Officials prepares for “surge”

Ontario has reported 426 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, bringing the provincial total to 2,392, including 37 deaths and 689 resolved cases.

The new COVID-19 cases mark the most significant increase the province has seen in a single day.

As the number of COVID-19 cases continues to grow past 2,300 cases across the province, Premier Doug Ford reiterated the critical importance of physical distancing measures to keep Ontario from facing the scale of devastation as seen in Italy. 

What is Physical Distancing? 

  • STAY at home as much as possible.
  • LIMIT contact with others when outside of your home.
  • KEEP two arms lengths apart from others. 

Since January 15, 2020, the Province of Ontario has provided the following breakdown regarding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic:

  • There is an even split when it comes to male and female patients
  • The median age is 50 (the range is from less than one to 105 years of age)
  • Greater Toronto Area (GTA) public health units account for 56% of cases, 
  • 11.3% of those who have COVID-19 were hospitalized 

In Premier Doug Ford’s daily briefing, he announced a $50 million fund to help Ontario businesses repurpose their operations to produce vital medical equipment and personal protective gear for front-line workers. 

The fund has been named “The Ontario Together Fund” and will be available on a proposal basis for companies that can quickly produce medical supplies and equipment. 

At this point in time, Ontario’s Chief Medical Health Officer Dr. David Williams is asking local health units to use their legal powers to implement a more “aggressive” measures to ensure that people with COVID-19 remain isolated. 

“We must do more given the ongoing and increasing incidence of community transmission across the province,” said Dr. David Williams in a memo to regional medical officers of health.

Temporary COVID-19 Unit

In response to the growing COVID-19 pandemic, a hospital in Burlington is currently building a temporary COVID-19 unit. 

Joseph Brant Hospital says the structure is being built on hospital grounds and will accommodate up to 93 beds in anticipation of a surge of patients. 

The Ministry of Health is also allowing all public hospitals such as the Joseph Brant Hospital to lease or acquire temporary spaces in other institutions or buildings to create these temporary COVID-19 units and house COVID-19 or other patients. 

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt

Discover

Bài Liên Quan

Ontario orders emergency shutdown of all outdoor recreational facilities in fight against coronavirus pandemic

The Ontario government has ordered the shutdown of all outdoor recreational facilities, including playgrounds, sports fields and off-leash dog parks, in the...

A Year Full of Giving

Last year ended with many successful activities by ShareYourLove. The great support of many donors and the collaboration of other charities...

Canada loses record 2 million jobs; temporary layoffs hide extent of damage

Reported by: Kelsey Johnson, Reuters OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada lost a record-breaking 2 million jobs in April while the...

PM Says More Student Jobs Are Coming as Canada Launches Student Service Grant

In his daily address to Canadians on Thursday morning, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that the long-promised Canada Student Services Grant (CSSG)...

PM wants answers from China, other countries on early days of COVID-19

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says there are many questions for countries, particularly China, around the origins of COVID-19 and how...

PM Trudeau Says Canada Handled COVID-19 Outbreak Better Than The US

During his news conference in the nation’s capital, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made a rare public comment saying Canada has handled the...

Publicly Funded Schools to remain closed until at least May 31 says Ontario Education Minister

Ontario’s Education Minister, Stephen Lecce announced that all publicly-funded schools will continue to remain closed until at least May 31. 

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt