Ontario Records Fourth Straight Day of Decline in New COVID-19 Cases Despite Overcrowded Beaches and Massive House Parties

On Tuesday morning, health officials in Ontario have reported another dip in the number of new COVID-19 cases across the province for the fourth day in a row. 

The positive news comes after a weekend of crowded beaches in Toronto and a massive 200+ person party that occurred in Brampton despite the calls from health officials urging people to keep physical distance even when outdoors. 

Photos and videos of crowded beaches in the Toronto area were posted on Twitter showing hundreds of people at Hanlan’s Point Beach not wearing masks and keeping physical distancing which deeply concerned Toronto Mayor John Tory. 

“We had quite a discussion about [this issue] at our sort of emergency command table,” said Toronto Mayor John Tory told at a news conference on Monday.

 “We are on top of it. We are going to use the marine unit and other resources at our disposal to better address some of these crowd scenes on the beaches.”

While this is not the first time that beaches in Toronto and across the province have been packed with people not wearing masks and practicing physical distancing, the Toronto Mayor is saying that the city is continuing with its educational approach to dealing with the issue. 

According to Mayor John Tory, bylaw officers, as well as city and park officials, are trying to educate people on the beaches on health protocols rather than immediately penalizing people with fines and other penalties. 

“If we find that we are not getting the kind of cooperation from this educational approach then more tickets I’m sure will be issued by the enforcement authorities,” said the Toronto Mayor.

“We will [also] take other steps as needed to make sure these types of crowd scenes are not reported over and over again.”

In addition to the overcrowded beaches, health officials and government officials were not pleased to hear of a house party that occurred this past weekend with as many as 200 participants on Saturday night. 

Despite the organizers’ efforts to keep the massive party off social media and hide the event from neighbours, Peel Regional Police and bylaw officers were called to the area of Countryside Drive and Goreway Road around 10:00 p.m. due to noise complaints and reports of a large party taking place. 

When the police officers arrived on the scene, it took them more than an hour to disperse everybody and send them home. 

According to officials reporting on the house party, the homeowner or party organizer hired security to park cars in yards, driveways, and green spaces in the surrounding area. 

While no arrests were made at the scene of the house party, both Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown and Ontario Premier Doug Ford agree that the owner of the home should face the “full extent of the law” which may include a fine of up to $100,000. 

Health Minister Christine Elliot commented on the matter saying it was “completely irresponsible” to throw a party with more than 200 people at this stage of the pandemic. 

She further added that it is important to abide by physical distancing measures as the province continues to reopen. 

Toronto Mayor John Tory addressed the house party earlier this week calling it “irresponsible” and “inconsiderate behaviour”.

The Toronto Mayor said he hopes enforcement will be stricter for people choosing to hold large parties and offered a warning to people in the City of Toronto not to hold large gatherings and parties such as the one held in Brampton this past weekend. 

Ontario’s COVID-19 Updates

Despite the overcrowded beaches and house parties this past weekend Ontario Health, officials have reported 111 new cases of COVID-19 as of Tuesday morning, bringing the provincial total to 38,910 confirmed cases to date. 

Following a spike of 195 new cases being reported last Friday, Ontario saw a steady decline in new cases as 138 patients were confirmed on Saturday, 137 on Sunday and 119 on Monday.

The province also reported four additional COVID-19 related deaths as of Tuesday morning, which brings the total number of fatalities to 2,768. 

Additionally, the number of recoveries made jumped by 106 recoveries which now accounts for more than 89% recoveries of all confirmed infections. 

According to the epidemiology report, most of the new cases reported today occurred in the Ottawa Region with 25 new cases, followed by Windsor Essex with 22 new cases. 

Ontario COVID-19 Stats:

Confirmed Cases: 38,910

Recoveries: 34,567

Deaths: 2,768

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt

#seesomething, saysomething

Culture Magazin magazine always wants to listen and receive contributions from readers.
In case you submit articles about your ideas, interesting social events or hot news that you would like to share with us, email us at info@culturerus.com or inbox us at the FB page – https://www.facebook.com/culturemagazin.
Try our test reporter once. Quality articles will be selected and posted on Culturemagazin’s website and official social networking sites!
#seesomething, saysomething

Discover

Bài Liên Quan

COVID-19 Variants Causing More than 40% of New Cases in Ontario Experts Say

Variants of concern are currently responsible for about 42 percent of new daily cases of COVID-19 in Ontario, the province's science advisory...

The Government of Canada and Ontario Announces $590 Million Investment to Support the Ford Oakville Plant to Produce Electric Cars

On Thursday, October 8, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ontario Premier Dough Ford attended a press conference to announce details of their...

Small gatherings and reopening plans for British Columbia to begin in mid-May

On Wednesday May 6, B.C. Premier John Horgan laid out the plans and details for reopening the province as the COVID-19 cases...

Hopes for Toyko’s Summer Olympics Darkens

Organizers postponed the Olympic Games for a year in March last year due to the global pandemic. Nearly a year later, the...

Canada strengthen gun control in wake of mass shooting tragedy in Nova Scotia, RCMP providing new details

After the shooting in Nova Scotia, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau promised to push ahead with tightening gun control in the country.

Third Wave of COVID-19 Infections Will Be Worse Than First Two Waves, Experts Say

While outdoor eateries reopen in hotspots across Ontario and vaccines are rolling out nationwide, doctors are preparing for the impact of a...

Hoang Thuy Bringing Vietnamese Iced Milk Coffee to Miss Universe 2019

Hoang Thuy will set off sooner than the official schedule to prepare for the Miss Universe 2019 contest. Among this year's...

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt