During their daily provincial address, Premier Doug Ford and his government announced that investments would be made towards the local manufacturing companies that are producing protective equipment for the frontline workers and communities amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.
Through the Ontario Together Fund, the received financial support will help these companies increase their capacity and ramp up the production for the PPE being made.
“Our entrepreneurs, businesses and workers are stepping up and unleashing the full strength of Ontario’s manufacturing might – sometimes doubling or tripling their output and working modern-day miracles in the fight against COVID-19,” Ford said.
“Our government is proud to partner with our champions in the business community to establish ‘made in Ontario’ as the gold standard for medical supplies and equipment here in Canada and around the world”.
Here is a breakdown of the companies receiving government funds, as well as what they’re producing.
Southmedic – a medical device manufacturer based in Barrie, Ontario. The company distributes to over 60 countries. The company will be provided with a total of $1.8 million from the province so that the company’s current production gets ramped up. The province will also use some of the money given to purchase new moulding equipment.
Sterling Industries – a contract manufacturer and an assembler of medical devices and sub-components based in Concord, Ontario. The province will be giving approximately $1 million to increase its production of face shields from 200,000 a week to over a million.
SRB Technologies – A self-powered emergency lighting and exit-signs production company based in Pembroke, Ontario. Approximately $60,000 will be given in funds for the company shift production of emergency lighting solutions to medical-grade face shields.
Vic Fedeli, the Minister of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade, has shown praise for Ontario based companies, as their production has greatly helped with the COVID-19 response in the province.
“Ever since the COVID-19 outbreak began, Ontario businesses have shown incredible collaboration, resilience and determination to tackle this crisis,” Fedeli said.
“Many of our innovators have stepped up to help produce much needed medical supplies. Now that we’re in the first stage of restarting our economy, I encourage all businesses to keep innovating and review our provincial safety guidelines to protect their employees in this new environment”.
Ontario’s State of Emergency Could Be Extended
Ontario had declared a “State of Emergency” on March 17 as the number of COVID-19 cases in the province began to grow.
Through the measures put in place as a result of the state of emergency, some businesses such as restaurants and bars were ordered to close, with the exception of stores that offer takeout or delivery. Additionally, the measures banned gatherings of larger than five people.
The state of emergency measure, which had been set to expire June 2, is up for voting today among Ontario’s MPPs as Premier Doug Ford seeks to extend the state of emergency for another 28 days, or until the end of June.
When asked, Ford said the extension of the state of emergency would not mean that plans to re-open the province will remain on hold.
Ford also reassured Ontarians that his government is continuing to work on plans to re-open the province using a regional phased approach.
Ontario COVID-19 Stats
Confirmed Cases – 28,709
Recoveries – 22,484Deaths – 2,293
This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt