Honey is not new to us. It contains many essential vitamins for humans, such as vitamin A, B1, B2, B6, B9, and E. Honey is not only a common ingredient in food and drinks, but it is also considered an effective health-improving “remedy.” Due to such miraculous uses, honey has naturally become a favourite product of most people.
The miraculous effect of honey on human health
- Relieving cough, runny nose: Using fresh lemon with honey daily can help reduce coughing or a runny nose. Whether you have an upper respiratory tract infection or an acute night-time cough, you will be treated effectively by consuming honey regularly.
- Healing wounds: Honey is famous for being a miracle medicine that helps to heal wounds such as chronic foot ulcers, burns, abrasions, abscesses, postoperative wounds, etc. Just apply directly a sufficient amount of natural honey on the wound about 2-3 times a day until the wound closes and begin the cicatrization. Applying honey will help relieve pain, reduce odor and pus, prevent infection, reduce inflammation and swollen and shortens the healing time after injury. However, it should not be used to treat wounds without a doctor’s approval because honey sometimes slows the healing process.
- Relieving peptic ulcers, gastritis: Because of its high antibacterial properties, honey can help kill harmful bacteria in the human stomach. It can reduce gastric secretion, fight inflammation, as well as reduce stomach ulcers, stomach bleeding quickly and effectively.
- Reducing eye dryness, eye strain: The contact with the screen of phones, computers, televisions regularly will affect the eyes because the eyes have to regulate for a long time. Using honey-based eye drops will quickly help reduce eye dryness and eye strain.
- Reducing the risk of heart disease: Honey contains antioxidants that help reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- Improving neurological diseases: Many studies have shown that regular use of honey would help improve memory, prevent memory disorders as well as combat depression, anxiety and seizures.
- Preventing cancer: Because honey is rich in antioxidants, this is a food that helps prevent cancer cells from growing and supporting the treatment of related diseases such as lung cancer, kidney cancer, etc.
- Supporting beautify: Besides improving people’s health status, honey is also a “panacea” for the beauty of women such as acne treatment, fade dark spots, skin whitening, exfoliating, helping shiny hair, effective weight loss, …
Some notes when using honey
Although honey is considered an effective “remedy” to improve human health, this does not mean that anyone can use it. Those who should not use honey include:
- Children under one year of age, especially infants
- Women who are pregnant and breastfeeding
- People with low blood pressure or low blood sugar
- People have just had surgery
- People with cirrhosis
- Diabetes patient
- People with digestive disorders
- People with a history of allergy to some components of honey, especially pollen allergies
Also, the improper use of honey can cause side effects. Over consuming honey will cause tooth decay, indigestion, weight gain, even possibly leading to food poisoning, hypotension and nerve damage. Therefore, before using honey, we need to do our research, specifically about usage, to avoid health-harmful situations.
This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt