COVID-19: Breaking the new social distancing rule? You could be fined up to $1,000 and businesses upto $500K

People and businesses found breaking the new social distancing rules will be fined, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) said Friday.

Individuals could be fined up to $1,000 while businesses could face fines of up to $500,000, the OPP said in a news release on Friday, March 20, 2020.

All three levels of government, federal, provincial and city have been implementing strict measures since declaring a State of Emergency by imposing travel restriction, social distancing, business and school closures to limiting transmission of COVID-19.

“Although voluntary compliance is always preferred, under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act (EMCPA), there are consequences for individuals and businesses that choose to defy the Act while it is in force,” OPP said.

Under the emergency legislation declared by the province this week, a range of businesses and organizations are ordered to close including daycares, private schools, movie theatres, concert venues, libraries, indoor recreation programs, restaurants and bars, except for drive-through, delivery or take-out options.  

All organized public events and gatherings of 50 people or more are also prohibited, including parades, events, and communal services within places of worship.

The orders remain effective until March 31, 2020, but could be extended.

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt

Discover

Bài Liên Quan

Recipients of the 2020 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, Chemistry, and Physics Announced in Sweden

Earlier last week, the Nobel Prize Organization announced the recipients of the Nobel Prizes in the categories of Physiology or Medicine, Chemistry,...

Ontario Announces $47 Million Funding into Public Health as Province Reports Highest Number of New COVID-19 Cases Since July

During her speech at the 2020 Association of Municipalities Ontario Conference, Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott announced that the province will be...

Students won’t go back to school on May 4, Premier Doug Ford says

Ontario students won’t be returning to the classroom on May 4, Premier Doug Ford announced today.  The closure of...

Bank of Canada made further rate cut to 0.75 percent; U.S. Federal Reserve slashes rate to near 0 in urgency to offset COVID-19 impact

As the coronavirus pandemic continues to deepen the threat to the economic growth of the world, U.S. and Canada took the dramatic...

New $350M support fund for COVID-19 community programs, 75% wage subsidy launching April 27: PM Trudeau

As the number of COVID-19 cases surpasses 2.5 million around the world, and 38,206 in Canada, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced today...

Trudeau cites uncertainty around pandemic as reason for budget delay

Reported by: The Canadian Press OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau isn’t saying when his government will provide a...

Ontario to release clearer guidelines on reopening businesses as the province announces three-phase plan to restart the economy

Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced on Tuesday afternoon that his government will be releasing clearer “sector-specific labour” guidelines later this week as...

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt