Cassava Sweet Soup of Western Vietnam
- 200g cassava
- 200g taro
- 100g sweet potato
- 100g pumpkin
- 60g lotus nuts
- 50g peanuts
- 3 wood ear mushrooms
- 200g grated coconut (or 1 can of coconut milk)
- 200g sugar
- Cut cassava, taro, sweet potato and pumpkin into cubes or carve simple flower designs.
- Roast and crush peanuts.
- Soak wood ear mushrooms in water. Cut into strips.
- Squeeze grated coconut with warm water, get the first milk and do it again to get 500ml of second milk. If you are using a can of coconut milk, then skip this step.
- Boil the lotus nuts until they are soft. Add sugar then take them out of the water.
- Cook cassava, taro, sweet potato and pumpkin and cook with second milk until they are soft. Add wood ear mushrooms and lotus nuts, then add the first milk on top. Add a little salt. You can use canned coconut milk instead of the second and first milk.
- Serve in a bowl and add crushed peanuts on top.
Beef Shank Stew with Artichoke
- 300g beef shank
- 150g lotus nuts
- 150g lotus root
- 100g taro
- 100g onion
- 50g tapioca starch
- 2 artichokes
- Some leek leaves, cilantro
- Rice noodles (to serve with)
- Seasonings: salt, sugar, ground pepper, broth mix (optional), fish sauce
- Put the beef shank in the freezer for a day then take it out and wait for it to thaw a little. Cut into cubes. Stew the beef for 3 hours with 1.5 litres of water until it is softened and the broth is flavourful. Take the meat out and save the broth for later. (Always skim off the scum and add more water if much of the broth has boiled off).
- Prepare the lotus roots, lotus nuts and taro. Slice lotus roots and boil them to reduce acrid taste. Cut taro into matchbox-sized cubes. Cut onion into segments. Chop leek leaves and cilantro.
- Rinse the artichokes, remove their centre choke (which has the fuzzy hair layer). Boil with 1.5 litres of water to get the extract. Use the artichoke broth to light-boil the stewed beef from step one so that the meat absorbs the flavour of the broth.
- Cook prepared vegetables in step two with the beef broth in step one.
- Mix the beef and artichoke broth with the vegetable beef broth and cook together. Season with fish sauce, salt, seasoning powder and sugar to taste. Mix tapioca powder with cold water and pour it into the pot to thicken the broth. Add chopped leek leaves and cilantro. Serve in a big bowl, decorate with cilantro and pepper. Eat with rice noodles.
XuQuang Home Kitchen
16 Tran Cao Van, ward Da Kao, District 1, Saigon.
This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt