Canada-US Border Restricted Expected to Remain in Effect Until December 21

Sources told CTV News that COVID-19 travel restrictions imposed on the Canada-US land border are expected to remain in effect for at least another month.

The current agreement to close the Canada-US border to non-essential travel was first imposed in March to limit the spread of the virus. The restrictions have been renewed monthly since then. The current renewal is expected to expire on November 21, but sources told CTV News that these measures will be extended until December 21.

Tourists and cross-border visits are still prohibited, except for commercial reasons. Some family members may give humanitarian reasons to be allowed into Canada from the United States, as well as from other countries, under a set of rules.

With COVID-19 cases continuing to soar on both sides of the border, the decision to continue to restrict travel is not surprising. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and health officials have said throughout the pandemic that until the spread is controlled, the reduction of border measures will be risky for citizens in both countries.

Public Health Director Dr. Theresa Tam has said that the safe timing assessment to allow leisure travel to continue between Canada and the US is ongoing. Canadian health officials regularly communicate with US public health agencies, including the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Tam has also stated that the first step will be to carefully reopen travel restrictions within Canada, such as the Atlantic zone.

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt

Discover

Bài Liên Quan

PM Trudeau Promises to Bring High-Speed Internet to 98 Percent of Canadians by 2026

After several pandemic-related delays, the Liberal government said it is now on track to connect 98% of Canadians to high-speed internet by...

2 New cases of Covid-19 in Toronto area, bringing total in Ontario to 20

Ontario confirmed two more new cases of Coronavirus in the GTA on Tuesday, March 3, bringing the total in Ontario to 20 including...

The Government of Canada and Ontario Announces $590 Million Investment to Support the Ford Oakville Plant to Produce Electric Cars

On Thursday, October 8, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ontario Premier Dough Ford attended a press conference to announce details of their...

Windsor-Essex Stays in Stage 2, Social Circles of 10 People Will Remain Until Next Year, As Ontario Reports 91 New COVID-19 Cases

Over the Civic Holiday Long Weekend, Ontario reported lower than 100 new cases of COVID-19 during the past two days with 88...

With strong measures, Canada could see up to 11,000 – 22,000 COVID-19 deaths say officials

According to the forecasting models by federal public health officials on Thursday in Ottawa, by the end of the COVID-19 pandemic there...

Finance Minister to Present Canada’s Economic Snapshot on July 8, says Prime Minister Justin Trudeau

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced that an update regarding the country’s financial state during the COVID-19 pandemic will be announced on...

Small gatherings and reopening plans for British Columbia to begin in mid-May

On Wednesday May 6, B.C. Premier John Horgan laid out the plans and details for reopening the province as the COVID-19 cases...

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt