Businesses with a 30% drop in revenue due to COVID-19 pandemic eligible for 75% wage subsidies says Prime Minister Justin Trudeau

On Monday March 30th Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced in his daily address that businesses and non-profit organizations that see a drop of at least 30% in revenue due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic will qualify for the government’s 75% wage subsidy financial assistance program. 

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau reassures Canadian businesses that the number of people a business employs will not determine its eligibility and that charities and companies big and small will qualify for the program. 

With more details about the wage subsidy program to be unveiled tomorrow by Finance Minister Bill Morneau, this is what we know so far: 

For businesses that qualify for the program, experiencing a 30% decrease in revenue, the government will cover up to 75% of a salary on the first $58,700 (which is estimated to be a possible payment of up to $847 per week). The wage subsidies will be retroactive, which means it will be dating back to March 15, 2020. Businesses are encouraged to pay employees the remaining 25% of their salaries. 

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also reemphasized that the program must operate on a basis of good faith and trust, warning businesses that there will be “serious” consequences for those who abuse the wage subsidy financial assistance. The Prime Minister also announced that there will be measures in place to prevent exploitation.

“We are trusting you to do the right thing,” said the Prime Minister. “If you have the means to pay the remaining 25 per cent that is not covered by the subsidy, do it.

“And if you think this is a system you can game or take advantage of, don’t.”

Canada and the Fight Against COVID-19

As information about financial assistance programs start to come in, Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, as described this upcoming week as a “crucial week” in the COVID-19 fight. Within this upcoming week, Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer will be able to determine whether the physical distancing (previously social distancing) and other related measures to stop the spread of the virus is having a significant effect.

At the moment, Dr. Theresa Tam said she is closely watching the provinces of Ontario Quebec, and Alberta where there has been communal spread of the virus. As of 1:30 pm Eastern Standard Time on March 30, 2020, the COVID-19 case count has shot up by 1,000 bringing the nation wide count to more than 7,200 cases in Canada.

Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam has said this week’s infection trends will provide key insights into the effectiveness of the Canada-wide isolation measures in place so far to “flatten the curve”.

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt

#seesomething, saysomething

Culture Magazin magazine always wants to listen and receive contributions from readers.
In case you submit articles about your ideas, interesting social events or hot news that you would like to share with us, email us at info@culturerus.com or inbox us at the FB page – https://www.facebook.com/culturemagazin.
Try our test reporter once. Quality articles will be selected and posted on Culturemagazin’s website and official social networking sites!
#seesomething, saysomething

Discover

Bài Liên Quan

Show You Care!

Give the Gift of Relief Many people have been working from home during the...

Canada Extends Border Closures Internationally and With the United States Until May 21

Public Safety Minister Bill Blair says Canada’s international and U.S. border restrictions will be in place for another month, at least.

Canadians To Be Allowed into EU Countries, Extends Quarantine Rules for Travellers Requiring Self-Isolation says Federal Government

Since the start of the pandemic in March, the travel and tourism industry have ground to a halt as many countries gradually...

Premier Ford acknowledges systemic racism in Ontario, launches of advisory council on equality of opportunity

In his daily provincial address today June 4, Premier Doug Ford and his government announced the launch of an “advisory group” whose...

Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy vs. Canada Emergency Response Benefit: “It’s one or the other” says Prime Minister Justin Trudeau

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau warns Canadians who are receiving the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) that they may have to repay the...

Seniors will be receiving up to $500 in COVID-19 emergency aid in July

In his daily address to Canadians, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced that seniors in Canada can expect COVID-19 emergency aid payments of...

Research Shows COVID-19 Vaccine May Require Regular Updates Until Infections Die Down

Just like flu vaccines, which are tailored each year to fight viruses as they change and mutate, the COVID-19 vaccine may need...

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt