Boiled pork wrapped in wild leaves and served with peanut sauce is a fusion food that stems from the boiled dish theme of the Masterchef game show. The dish can be served with any kind of vegetables, including star fruits, mild bananas or coriander. Boiled pork and coconut juice are already sweet enough, and once served with sour coriander and buttery peanut sauce, it is a match made in heaven.
Revised at will, the dish is sometimes served with Trang Bang rice crepes or spring rolls. This snack is simple and delectable.
Give it a go with this recipe…
- 600g broadly sliced bacon
- 1 fresh coconut (if its juice can is not enough to soak the bacon, add cold water)
- 1 cup of roasted peanuts
- 50g ground roasted rice (thính)
- 1 onion
- Fruit and vegetables: fig leaf, laksa leaf, cinnamon leaf, mint, parsley, star fruit, pineapple (or a bundle of Tay Ninh wild vegetables), green onion
- Seasoning: fish sauce, salt, sugar, salt, ground garlic, ground chili, red pork seasoning powder
- Wash the bacon, drain water, marinate with a teaspoon of red pork seasoning powder and put in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Add half a teaspoon of seasoning and half a teaspoon of salt in the coconut juice. When it comes to a boil, add bacon until just about cooked. To check if it is ready, poke and make sure no blood oozes out.
- Put the boiled bacon in ice water (or the freezer), then slice the bacon lengthwise to roll.
- Thinly slice onion, add a teaspoon of lemon extract and half a teaspoon of red pork seasoning powder.
- Chop or leave raw vegetables depending on your taste
- Place vegetables and onion on a slice of bacon and roll it up. Tie together with the briefly boiled spring onions
- Scatter ground roasted rice on the rolls (one teaspoon ground roasted rice, one teaspoon roasted peanut, one quarter teaspoon red pork seasoning and one quarter teaspoon ground sugar).
- Make sauce: half cup of boiling water, two teaspoons fish sauce, one teaspoon ground roasted peanut, half teaspoon cassava starch, ground chili and garlic.
- Mix up cassava starch in boiling water, add fish sauce and peanuts and cook until condensed, then add ground chili and ground garlic.
- Ground roasted peanuts can be replaced with peanut butter to enhance the taste.
This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt