Applications for New Federal Government Recovery Benefits Opens October 5 After CERB Expires

As the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic hits some parts of the country, Canadians continue to struggle with the aftermath of the pandemic and can now begin applying for three new benefits available from the federal government.

Starting Monday, October 5th, 2020, Canadians can apply through the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for the new sick leave benefits and a new caregiver benefit for people who are required to take time off from work to care for sick family members.

The benefits came after the bill was passed in the House of Representatives last week. Bill C-4 that replaced Canada’s $500-a-week Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), which has ended after helping nearly nine million Canadians overcome the effects of the pandemic.

If you are receiving CERB, you may be eligible for one of the new sickness benefits effective September 27, 2020, and available until September 25, 2021, and can begin to apply for the benefit programs. Apply for financial assistance from the federal government today, starting Monday, October 5, 2020, through CRA – My Account or by phone 1-800-959-2019 or 1-800-959-2041.

The first benefit that can be applied for starting Monday, October 5 is:

Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) – Canada’s Recovery Care Benefit

Canadian households will be able to claim $500 per week (which will be tax-deductible before receipt) for up to 26 weeks when one person is off work at least 50% of the week because of the care of a child or a family member who is ill, or required for isolation, or is at a high risk of serious health effects from COVID -19. That includes children whose schools or daycare centers were closed because of COVID-19, or children forced out of school or daycare because they were infected or may have been exposed to the virus.

Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB)

People who are unable to work because they have COVID-19 infection or are forced to quarantine themselves because of the virus, or have underlying medical conditions, are under treatment or have other illnesses that, in the opinion of their doctor, make it easier to be infected with COVID-19, will also be able to receive this new benefit for up to $ 500 per week (tax-deductible before receipt) for up to two weeks.

An estimated 4.4 million Canadians apply for sick leave.

As part of Measure C-4, workers affected by the pandemic also have access to more flexible and generous employment insurance, and for those still ineligible for EI., will be able to receive a new Canadian restoration benefit.

Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB)

Primary support program for people unable to work because COVID-19 will open for applications on October 12.

Canada Recovery Benefit will provide eligible workers $500 per week (tax included, with source tax deduction) for up to 26 weeks for those who have stopped working and are not eligible for EI, or their employment/self-employment income is reduced by at least 50% due to COVID-19. This benefit will be paid over two weeks.

Canadians can begin to apply for a new Canada Response Benefit, which will also receive $ 500 per week for up to 26 weeks, intending to begin accepting applications on October 12. Details on when and how you can sign up for will be available on October 12, 2020.

The easiest way to register will be online through your CRA My Account.

The federal government will provide more support to local public health units in areas severely affected by COVID-19, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Monday.

Prime Minister Trudeau told reporters he signed agreements with Alberta, Ontario and Quebec to hire staff from the provinces to help track contacts at coronavirus hotspots.

Contact trackers advise people who may have been exposed to COVID-19 to quarantine themselves or get tested to minimize the spread of the virus. Delays in contacting them can affect the effectiveness of case tracking.

“Contact tracking is extremely effective at case tracking, especially if it’s done very quickly,” Trudeau said. “Once you start getting into the backlog, obviously, it’s difficult to track down a relationship more efficient.”

In Quebec, the government announced an additional set of regulations for sports teams, schools and gyms in the province’s red zone on Monday. The new rules will stay in place until at least October 28.

The Greater Montreal, Quebec City and the Chaudière-Appalaches were designated as red zones according to the province’s COVID-19 warning system last week. Starting Monday midnight, three towns in the Gaspé region will join them.

The Quebec government said on Monday that masks are now mandatory for high school students and gyms will be closed and team sports will be banned.

Education Minister Jean-François Roberge also said at a press conference on Monday that 10th and 11th-grade students will now only.

Competition between schools and outings will also be banned in the red zones.

Elementary students will not be required to wear masks in classrooms but students in Grades 4-6 will need to continue to wear masks while walking in shared spaces such as hallways and when riding the school bus.

“All the actions we are taking can and should stop us from closing the school,” Roberge told reporters.

Quebec on Monday reported 1,191 new coronavirus infections, the highest one-day number since the pandemic began, with the majority of cases reported in the Montreal region and Quebec City. This is the fourth consecutive day this province records more than 1,000 new cases per day.

In a private press conference at 5 pm, Premier François Legault said the federal government’s COVID-19 notification application had launched in the province. Legault downloaded the app in front of reporters, demonstrating the government’s willingness to include the app when they previously protested.

Health Minister Christian Dubé pointed out last week that the government will make the application available in the province.

Currently, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador are using the application, which has been downloaded by nearly 3 million people.

Currently, Quebec has 7,586 cases under follow-up.

Meanwhile, Ontario reported 615 additional COVID-19 infections on Monday, when the province started switching to appointment-only testing for disease. Toronto reported 289 new cases, while Peel Region had 88 and Ottawa 81.

Last week, Toronto’s medical director, Dr. Eileen de Villa, recommended that indoor dining in this city be shut down for a month and prohibit indoor fitness and leisure activities.

At a news conference on Monday, Ontario Premier Doug Ford said he did not want to close restaurants because it would affect the livelihoods of small business owners.

“The easy thing to do is that you don’t have to watch endless data just close everything. I’m sorry, I’m not ready to do that with people’s lives right now, ”said Ford, adding that he needs to see more evidence before imposing further restrictions.

Fifty-six new cases of COVID-19 in Ontario involve schools, including 31 students, eight staff members and 17 people classified as “unidentified individuals.”

When asked by reporters, Premier Ford, Education Minister Stephen Lecce and Ontario medical director Dr. David Williams cannot say how many confirmed cases will require closing a school.

Also at the meeting, the government announced $ 35 million in funding for schools will be used to improve online learning and hire more staff. That money comes from the province’s $ 1.3 billion plan to “safely reopen classrooms.”

The ministry also announced on Monday that it plans to hire an additional 600 contact tracking staff and case managers over the next five weeks to help local health units that are having difficulty calling. people in close exposure to active cases.

In an email, a ministry spokesperson said the Toronto Department of Public Health will receive about 200 additional special staff members to follow-up with contacts, and recruitment will begin today.

Currently, Ontario has 5,474 cases being monitored.

Manitoba reported 51 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday when Health Minister Cameron Friesen announced the province would double the COVID-19 testing area in Winnipeg to reduce the current waiting time.

About 80% of the new infections reported in the last week of September were from the Winnipeg region, the report found.

In the Winnipeg area, restaurants and bars will stop serving alcohol between 10 p.m. and 9 a.m. starting October 7, when new public health measures are introduced.

The city and 17 surrounding communities are below the level of the orange pandemic response as these areas are driving up the province’s number of new cases.

Currently, Manitoba has 739 cases being watched.

Newfoundland and Labrador is asking some passengers on an Air Canada flight to get tested after a man diagnosed with COVID-19 as a passenger on that flight died within a day of getting off. planes.

Health Secretary John Haggie confirmed on Monday that the man had been tested for COVID-19 after his death and that the disease would be listed as an “additional” cause of death for the individual.

Specifically, anyone sitting in rows 13 to 17 on Air Canada Flight 604 from Toronto to Halifax on Wednesday should call 811 for inspection.

Currently, the province has 4 cases still being monitored.

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt

#seesomething, saysomething

Culture Magazin magazine always wants to listen and receive contributions from readers.
In case you submit articles about your ideas, interesting social events or hot news that you would like to share with us, email us at info@culturerus.com or inbox us at the FB page – https://www.facebook.com/culturemagazin.
Try our test reporter once. Quality articles will be selected and posted on Culturemagazin’s website and official social networking sites!
#seesomething, saysomething

Discover

Bài Liên Quan

Canada Extends Ban on Most Foreign Travellers to At Least July 31

Following the news of the European Union’s decision to reopen its borders and lift travel bans from certain countries, Canada’s travel ban...

Applications for New Federal Government Recovery Benefits Opens October 5 After CERB Expires

As the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic hits some parts of the country, Canadians continue to struggle with the aftermath of...

COVID-19 Pandemic has No Effect on Canadian Holiday Spending According to Surveys

Although the majority of Canadians do not plan to cut gifts this year, surveys show that holiday spending habits have changed somewhat...

COVID-19 might never go away according to WHO emergencies chief

In a news briefing on Wednesday May 13, the World Health Organization’s chief Dr. Michael Ryan said that the COVID-19 coronavirus may...

Rogers Offering Compensation to Customer After Outage, Credit to Be Applied Next Bill

Rogers Communications Inc. is offering customers a credit after a massive nationwide wireless outage left millions without voice calls, texting and data...

Government of Ontario Extends State of Emergency and Stay at Home Orders

The Government of Ontario has formally extended the state of emergency and all related orders, including a stay-at-home order for an additional...

Poll Finds Canadians Are Less Likely Than Most to Wear Masks When Out in Public

A poll conducted by a British polling firm, YouGov, found a surprising insight that Canadians are more likely than Americans to praise...

This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt