Alberta Premier, Jason Kenney, announced earlier this week that almost all remaining public health restrictions across the province will be lifted as of March 1, 2022, as Alberta proceeds with moving on to the second phase of an endemic approach to COVID-19.
Premier Kenney announced the “vast majority” of restrictions will be coming to an end during a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the new Grande Prairie Regional Hospital.
“I know there are some who greet the lifting of restrictions with mixed emotions. But I want to remind you, Alberta is not alone in this approach,” Premier Kenney said. He noted that other jurisdictions, such as the United Kingdom, are also lifting restrictions.
Under Step 2, remaining school requirements; youth screening for entertainment and sports activities; capacity limits at large and entertainment venues; operating restrictions on restaurants and bars such as liquor services; all social gathering limits; and mandatory work-from-home requirements will all be lifted.
Indoor masking will no longer be required, except, said the Alberta Premier, in “higher-risk settings,” including public transit, Alberta Health Services facilities and continuing-care settings.
The Alberta government’s three-step plan to lift restrictions had Step 2 beginning on March 1, if hospitalizations were still trending downward.
“Fortunately, all signs here and across the world suggest that the worst of COVID-19 is behind us,” Premier Kenney said.
This post is also available in: Tiếng Việt