Five children were sent to Victoria General Hospital after ingesting THC gummies on Friday.
Victoria police said the children, all under the age of 10, were at a barbecue when parents noticed they were behaving oddly.
The parents questioned the children, who said they had eaten candy they found while playing in a room.
The packaging of the THC gummies closely resembled a popular brand of candy.
The children were taken to hospital and later released. No foul play is suspected.
Police said the incident is a reminder that users should keep such edibles, which can resemble non-cannabis products, out of the reach of children.
Police said no foul play is suspected and no charges are anticipated.
‘Stoner patch’ candy, gummies among cannabis-laced items seized by police from Markham convenience store
York Regional Police have issued a warning for parents after it was reported a Markham convenience store was selling illegal cannabis edibles, disguised as regular candy, to underage teenagers.
Police said a search warrant was executed at Angus Glen Convenience on Kennedy Road, south of Major Mackenzie Drive East on Feb. 18. Police said officers found large amounts of cannabis edibles, cannabis vape pens and cannabis seeds.
“These products look similar to candy products that are made for and marketed to children. Many of the products were not adequately labelled and instructions regarding dosage were unclear,” police said in a news release on Tuesday.
The street value of the seized drugs is estimated to be about $10,000, police said.
Investigators said a concerned citizen had filed an online report to police in January alleging the convenience store was selling products believed to contain cannabis to a group of minors who “appeared to be well under the age of 19.”
Angus Glen Convenience’s store manager and another employee were charged with possessing cannabis for the purpose of selling under the Cannabis Act.
“Police are warning parents to ensure children have no access to these harmful products and if appropriate, warn their children these products are not candy,” investigators said.
This content is also available in: Tiếng Việt