Ontario confirmed two more new cases of Coronavirus in the GTA on Tuesday, March 3, bringing the total in Ontario to 20 including 3 recoveries, with a further 45 people under investigation.
Health officials say the two new patients are GTA residents, one had a recent travel history to Iran and the other to Egypt. Both have been placed into self-isolation. Their ages and genders are not yet known.
More than 1,100 people have been tested for the virus in Ontario so far, with 1,061 samples coming back negative.
PM Trudeau says the Federals are working closely with WHO on the coronavirus outbreak. Toronto Mayor John Tory assured the public that health officials have been working to ensure they are ready for an increase in cases caused by the Coronavirus and urged residents not to panic. Tory assured the public via his Twitter on Tuesday that “Through public education, awareness and preparation we are keeping the safety and health of our residents a top priority,”
Three new cases were confirmed in Ontario on Monday, and four cases were confirmed on Sunday. All of them are people who had recently travelled to Iran or Egypt or were close contacts of people who had.
As a result, travellers arriving in Canada from Iran will be asked to self-isolate for 14 days to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus, the same direction given to people arriving from Hubei, China, the epicentre of the outbreak, officials said on Monday.
The new measure is being imposed because “ The rapid increase in cases in Iran and the number of recent Canadian cases linked to travellers coming from Iran is very concerning,” said Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam.
Canada now has 27 confirmed cases of the virus, 20 in Ontario, eight in British Columbia, one in Quebec. All patients had travelled to affected areas or were close contacts of people who had.
WHO said via their Twitter post on Monday that the Director-General emphasized that “the virus is capable of community transmission, but which can also be contained with the right measures.”
The new coronavirus has killed more than 3,000 people, the majority are in mainland China. There are now more than 89,000 infected cases globally with infections spread to every continent except Antarctica.
Link to other related articles
The World Health Organization has provided guideline for every individual to protect themselves and others as below:
This post is also available in: Tiếng Việt